Log files created every few seconds but Nothing to synchronise

Get help for specific problems

Adrianlag

Is FFS only meant to create a log file when RTS detects changes?

I've just set up RTS to monitor a number of locations, but even when none of the files are changing I'm seeing a log file created every 20-30 seconds that states Nothing to Synchronise.

For now I've set Logs to be deleted after 1 day, but is this normal behaviour?

xCSxXenon

FFS only creates a logfile when a sync is ran. RTS must be detecting a change and triggering the sync. That change might be a temp file that is deleted before a sync is ran, thus there is nothing to sync. What locations are you monitoring?

Adrianlag

Its monitoring a few paths but one is my local copy of Google Drive so I wonder if there's some hidden Google Sync file triggering RTS. I'll try disabling that path and see what happens. I'll also search out any other hidden files that may also be a cause and add them to my Exclusions list. Thanks for the tip!

Plerry

It may also help to read what the logfile tells FFS did or what problem FFS encountered.

xCSxXenon

It may also help to read what the logfile tells FFS did or what problem FFS encountered. Plerry, 25 Sep 2023, 18:54
"I'm seeing a log file created every 20-30 seconds that states Nothing to Synchronise."

There isn't anything helpful in a log for a successful sync of nothing

Plerry

Apparently I reacted without reading carefully first ...

Adrianlag

OK so I've fixed it - thanks for all comments as you pointed me in the right direction to check hidden files.

It was all because once of my monitored paths in the batch file was my local Google Drive folder which meant it contained a hidden sync.ffs_db file and it was this that was constantly triggering the log file. So by Changing my path to monitor the level above it there was no sync.ffs_db in Gogle Drive folder and all now works as expected!
Site Admin

Zenju

it contained a hidden sync.ffs_db file and it was this that was constantly triggering the log file. Adrianlag, 25 Sep 2023, 22:06
A changing sync.ffs_db file does not trigger RealTimeSync. It's specifically excluded.

Adrianlag

A changing sync.ffs_db file does not trigger RealTimeSync. It's specifically excluded.
OK, thanks. I guess it was some other property of google, the key is I stopped log file repeats by monitoring a level above it. I'm very happy with FFS/RTS now and it's so fast.

Thanks for your help on sync.ffs_db

Adrianlag

Just an update in case anyone else encounters this issue.... I was now getting a "Nothing To Sync" log file every 10 minutes. I tracked this down to my RTS monitoring my DropBox folder where a hidden .Dropbox.cache file was being updated every 10m. Simple solution was to NOT monitor D:/dropbox where the cache file exists, but setup RTS to monitor the subfolder where my actual files were stored D:/dropbox/myfiles.

Works perfectly now! Took me a while to appreciate RTS doesn't have to monitor the same folders as those defined in the Batch file sync folders.