Versioning is creating a bunch of nested "Revisions" folders

Get help for specific problems

strumpystrudel

Pretty new to FreeFileSync. It was recommended to me after switching to Windows and realizing the native backups and file syncing is trash in Windows 11.

Anyway, I'm trying to setup FreeFileSync to sync the files in specific directories to USB storage and my NAS. Furthermore, having this run every hour or 30-minutes and keep versions of files that have changed instead of just replacing them. I had to create two jobs for this since it doesn't look like you can specify multiple targets for the Versioning directory, just one. So created a job for each target.

The Task Scheduler tasks seem to be running fine.

The issue I'm running into is with versioning, which could be how it is supposed to work... just seems odd to me. I followed this guide:

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=versioning

This is how I setup the versioning directory:
Screenshot 2023-10-03 133757.png
Screenshot 2023-10-03 133757.png (64.91 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
This is what folders are being backed up and to where:
Screenshot 2023-10-03 133936.png
Screenshot 2023-10-03 133936.png (16.04 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
And this is what the latest path looks like... seems like it makes a new versioning directory for every backup.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 134036.png
Screenshot 2023-10-03 134036.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Again, maybe that is how it is supposed to work... I think I was expecting to see one Revisions directory where the subdirectories looks similar to what I am backing up, then in there, there would be time stamped files if they had changes.

xCSxXenon

You shouldn't be mirroring multiple locations to one target. What is happening here is Y contains "Revisions", then a sync is mirroring D/C to Y, and since D/C probably don't have a "revisions" folder, that "Revisions" folder is deleted from Y, and then it is versioned to, guess where, "Revisions"!
Now you have Y:\Revisions\Revisions"
Then it that is deleted and versioned, leading to Y:\Revisions\Revisions\Revisions"
On and on and on and on

You need to:
- Mirror D:\Projects to Y:\File Backups\Projects
- Mirror C:\Users to Y:\File Backups\Users\
- Set revisions to go to Y:\File Backups\Revisions

You can of course use different names/locations, but the main things to fix are:
- Mirroring two sources to one destination is bad
- Versioning folder can't be in a mirror destination

strumpystrudel

Got it, thanks for clearing that up!
Site Admin

Zenju

There should have been multiple warnings explaining the problems with this configuration, right?

xCSxXenon

There should have been multiple warnings explaining the problems with this configuration, right? Zenju, 04 Oct 2023, 07:07
I considered that...I feel like there would be an incredible amount of errors in the logs
Site Admin

Zenju

I believe the warnings (if read) would have told OP exactly what's going wrong, and as an added bonus even told which exclude filter to set to avoid the recursive versioning issue.