Google Drive not syncing deletions to cloud

Discuss new features and functions

rich1000

I use FreeFileSync to sync a directory with a directory within Google Drive for Desktop.
When I delete a directory or file in the local directory and then use FreeFileSync to sync the local directory with the directory within Google Drive for Desktop:
- The file/directory is deleted in the local storage associated with Google Drive for Desktop.
- The deletion does not propagate to the Google Drive in the cloud. The deleted file/directory still exists on the cloud drive even though it is removed in the local directory associated with Google Drive for Desktop.

When I use the File Manager to delete a directory in the local directory associated with Google Drive for Desktop, it does propagate the deletion to Google Drive in the cloud. Therefore, there is some difference with how FreeFileSync deletes files/directories that relates to the failure to sync the deletion to Google Drive in the cloud.

xCSxXenon

FFS uses the native Windows API to work, so deletions within FFS should be identical, as far as I know. Why not just sync against the Google Drive directly though?

rich1000

It isn't identical so question is why. Google Drive for Desktop must not key off of the Windows API when a file is deleted. There is likely an extra step that could be implemented as like I said it does work when the File Manager deletes a file.
The use I have is like a document repository were the Google Drive is the cloud repository and I sync with it and the local drive using FFS. I do not want to use the Google Drive directly when I am editing files as I want to control manually when a set of documents are uploaded to the repository (Google Drive).
The workaround if FFS just does not work with Google Drive on deletions is to leave FFS and use Git instead with GD as the Git repository.
Lmk if someone actually knows how to get FFS to work with Google Drive - including deleting files/directories with FFS and having the deletions sync to the GD cloud.

robrob

I have a similar Issue.
viewtopic.php?p=41765#p41765
I received error messages, which I ignored. I think that's probably the reason for the Browser Google Drive not deleting the files which were deleted on my desktop drive (the error message says sth about not being able to create a RecycleBin)...

Flowers4

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you are synchronizing your Google drive files down to your PC and then synchronizing those files from the default directory to another directory. Then, you are editing files in that alternate directory and then trying to synchronize them back to the default Google Drive directory and it's not working as you expect it to?

It's possible that what you're trying to do may simply just not work.

If you are concerned about your cloud files I recommend doing what I do which is a weekly full backup of the entire Google drive to a local SSD.

Because my Google Drive is large I choose not to synchronize the entire cloud drive down to my PC I choose to use the streaming option instead which allows you to select individual folders to remain persistently on the local computer. This is my recommendation.

I would simply use Google Desktop for Windows as Google intended for it to be used and not worry. If a file gets accidentally deleted you can restore it from your local backup.

I'm not certain but you might be able to take advantage of document or file history so that if a file gets saved you can log into your Google Drive and restore it to the most recently used file. Give that a try also. I think it saves edits for 30 days.