Migrating to a new PC

Get help for specific problems

sf2010

I have 3 laptops successfully RealTimeSync to a central PC. But the central PC is old and needs replacing.

I can copy over the data from the old to new PC and I can direct the laptops to the new PC.

But I am concerned about the hidden two-way synchronisation files that FFS/RTS uses.

What do I need to do to get the laptops two-way synchronising with a replacement central PC please?

sf2010

Just to add I'm concerned about all the sync.ffs_db files.

As I'm already syncing a number of folders from 3 laptops to the central PC, these files must be getting complex and somehow specific to the laptop/PC identities. (The RTS/FFS programs only run on the laptops, not the central PC.)

I'm therefore thinking I should:
1. Copy all the [considerable] data from the old central PC to the new central PC.
2. Delete all the sync.ffs_db files on all the laptops and new central PC.
3. Restart the RTS/FFS processes on the laptops which will then create new sync.ffs_db files on the first run.

Is this the correct procedure to migrate from a two-way sync central hub to new central PC please?
Site Admin

Zenju

In general there are two scenarios:

1. you want to move a folder to another location: In this case, move the sync.ffs_db file as well.

2. you want to copy a folder to another location and keep/use both locations: Use FFS to copy the folder so that a new sync.ffs_db file is created at the target.

Think of the sync.ffs_db file as a marker for a data location. FFS distinguishes folders by this file, so if you copy it, FFS will see both locations that contain the very same sync.ffs_db file as if they were the same. However FFS is *very* fault tolerant. Even if you copy the sync.ffs_db both files will already be different after synchronization with any of the two. So the worst that can happen is that FFS behaves as if two folders will be synced for the first time - after this sync, the situation is recovered and everything works as usual.

So as a hard and fast rule: As long as you run FFS directly after you have moved/copied a base folder, you're fine.