FTPS transfers VERY slow

Discuss new features and functions

ffs-someday

FTPS, (NOT SFTP), transfers go very very slowly. It is unclear why.

I have tried leaving threads setting on default 1 and also moved it up to 10, does not matter, transfers are very slow.

When I use an FTP client, like Filezilla, the transfers occur at the fast speed expected by FTPS transfers.

therube

(Maybe tell about more about the setup... what you're FTPS-ing to...
just what is "very slowly" compare to "fast speed"...)

ffs-someday

Besides "an FTPd", what I am FTPSing to is not relevant, since it is the same destination if I use FFS or Filezilla.

I already gave the comparison, the FTP client delivers expected speed for FTPS, which if you know FTPS is usually as fast as bandwidth will permit. FFS delivers very slowly in comparison. Fractions of what available bandwidth is.

The destination is the same, the protocol is the same. What is different is the application, and the massive amount of time it requires to accomplish the same transfer that the FTP client does.

This was your 873'rd post here. I wonder how many of them ask relevant helpful questions.

I suspect development knows why FTPS transfers so slowly, probably has something to do with using cURL lib
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem is that for "multiple threads" to boost transfer times your sync has to process multiple files. If there is only one file, multiple threads does nothing. FileZilla on the other hand splits up a single file into multiple uploads, which is a feature FreeFileSync does not have (at this time?). In most cases however there will be multiple files to sync, and thous no perf difference.

ffs-someday

There are multiple files to sync, and it is still magnitudes slower than FTPS client. Huge performance difference. It took a little over an hour and a half for Filezilla to upload the same dataset that FFS needed almost 14 hours for.
Also the speed is slow, even on single thread setting.

It sounds like what you are talking about and missing from FFS is "segmentation", not multi-threading.

rfc959 has some reliable information on the FTP protocol. It can probably clear up any misperceptions on how the protocol works.

Also this page https://whatbox.ca/wiki/Multi-threaded_and_Segmented_FTP as a section explaining multi-threaded vs segmentation

I appreciate you looking into this