When I change one item in a folder I have to resynch the entire folder

Get help for specific problems

Jul

Hello, perhaps I just don't know how to word it right, but since recently I have the problem that if I add one file to a folder FFC and other backup programs as well make me resynch the entire main folder.
I work on OS 12.7.1 with FFS 13.2 donation ed.
After having the problem in FFS I tried Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper to no avail.
I have big video files so when I add one clip of 500MB FFS says I have to recopy 1.2 TB to the other backup drive. When I go into the subfolder and compare them, they show no need for synchronization but going into a hundred subfolders is a huge work and won't work as a regular back up.
Anybody having any idea what causes this problem? That would be swell!

xCSxXenon

When you run a comparison, what does FFS list as the reason for needing to resync the files that haven't changed?

therube

What type of comparison & sync are you running?
When I go into the subfolder and compare them, they show no need for synchronization
How did you determine that?

If your Compare is by Content & if your manual look at the directory is by size & date, it is very possible that the content did change (like if you have a failing disk) [where size & date need not necessarily have changed].

Or, something like a third party program (perhaps Windows Media Player ?) may have added meta-data to said files - again without changing the files size or date.

Jul

Hello,
thank you for your replies!
The reason given is always that it doesn't exist on the right size. In the meantime I realized that I might have several problems, among others differing hard drive formatting (journaled and APFS) I will address this first and get back after that. I also keep getting this error, completed with warnings, Database file is not available: Setting default directions for synchronisation, is that related? Cheers! Jul

Plerry

> The reason given is always that it doesn't exist on the right size.

This suggests you are not using the proper left-right base-locations.
If you are sure your right-side files are in the desired location,
then you should define your left and right base-location such that
the path to your files relative to your left and right base location
is identical.