Error message : unable to rename a file

Get help for specific problems

Phil

Hello,
An error message is displayed during synchronization between the hard drive and the USB key :
Unable to rename "/Volumes/YELLOW KEY/Second Yellow Key/Argumentation/Debates around slavery/Journal article and questions-714c.ffs_tmp" to "Journal article and questions.odt".

The name "Journal article and questions.odt" is already used by another element.

Can you help me please ?

xCSxXenon

What happens if you delete "Journal article and questions.odt" and try the sync again?

therube

(Sounds like you have some sort of argument ongoing, & one side says, "I'm going to rename this file from _tmp to .odt", & the other side says, "oh, no you're not!".)

;-)

Phil

If I delete "Journal article and questions.odt" on the hard drive, and try the sync again, I receive a message indicating a conflict (small flash): "both sides have changed since the last synchronization".
I have the impression that a ".tmp" file is created on the USB key and is preventing synchronization.
Thank you.

xCSxXenon

That conflict means you have two-way sync selected, which is fine. But since one side has been updated since the last sync and the other side was deleted since the last sync, FFS can't know which action you truly want to take. You will have to run a comparison, then manually select and action from the middle pane where the conflict icon is shown.

Phil

Thank you for these explanations. This is actually what I do in this kind of situation (manual selection of the most recent version). Coming back to my original problem, I don't understand where the ".tmp" file comes from because it doesn't appear in the tree view. This situation occurs every time I have made a change to the hard drive and want to sync with the key. The problem does not occur in the opposite direction (modification on the key to be transferred to the hard drive). If the problem persists, I think I will have to resort to another sync software for Mac. Again thanks to you.