Problem with date

Get help for specific problems

morvael

Some files on my ext4 drive source have no modification date (mostly files creating during Java project build). They always appear on comparison as files to copy when using the default size & date method. When mirrored to exfat drive, this sets their date to 1980-01-01 01:00:00. When mirrored to ext4 drive, their date is kept unknown, but they also appear.

1) when modification date not available, please read creation date
2) treat null date as equal to null or "zero" date

...so the files do not reappear on comparison view as required to copy.

edit: the problem on ext4/ext4 is sometimes not reappearing, but the one with ext4/exfat is "stable".

therube

Seemingly you can disable mtime on Linux systems so maybe that was specifically done, or maybe the Java end is specifically doing that for some odd reason?

(Likewise, maybe you can undo that change if it was in fact done?)

Linux no modify time (nomtime)

morvael

I have a vanilla Linux Mint, didn't dabble in disabling mtime. It just seems Java does this, newly created files do not have modification time (which sounds reasonable, they were just created, not modified).

Don't want to dabble with filters ignoring build files, there are no problems ext4 to ext4 or ntfs to ntfs. The problems only started when I decided to switch external drives to exfat, because ntfs was getting corrupt regularly, and ext4 is not good for drives that are moved between computers (one has to take ownership on new computer to be able to write).