Various errors

Discuss new features and functions

mikeyww

I have just started using FreeFileSync. I am seeing two kinds of errors even after a few sync runs.

1. Database not available. I'm not sure why the database would not be available.

2. File has changed on both sides. This is not actually the case.

Plerry

1)
The databases do not exist yet when you run any given sync for the first time, and are created during/at the end of running the sync (one on either side of every left-right pair).
If, after you have run any sync the first time, you remove a databases (a sync.ffs_db file) on either side, "the" database is not available (as stated, you need two; one on either side).

2)
It is not necessarily you (yourself) that opened or modified a file.
Some software tools (like e.g. some anti-virus programs) have the nasty habit of doing that for you ... ;-)
The same may apply e.g. to Microsoft Office files, particularly when stored in Sharepoint.

mikeyww

Thank you, Plerry.

1. As I mentioned, the problem continues to occur after a few runs. I have not removed any database files.

2. I don't think that any programs are modifying these files. My other sync programs never report this issue. I use only Microsoft Windows Security as antivirus. I am not using SharePoint.

My NAS uses a customized user name, not my Windows login name. I am not sure whether this is an issue or whether there is a way for the program to authenticate with such credentials. Other sync programs often have a way to provide authentication for such circumstances. Nonetheless, the program reports no authentication errors.