google drive security assessment

Discuss new features and functions

patrickdrd

hello,
I've just read about google drive requiring security assessment after February 15, 2024 and
I wonder about ffs fate
Unfortunately, access to Google Drive will no longer be possible with the cloud plugin after February 15, 2024 because Google suddenly changed the rules after almost 10 years:

Google now requires a security assessment following the extremely strict OWASP standard for all programs and Web services wanting to access all of a user's files on Google Drive. Unfortunately it is impossible for a plugin to follow these rules:

Plugins as such cannot be certified, only applications. Google Drive access would have to be built directly into Total Commander.
OWASP requires to follow very specific rules when developing a program. It cannot be applied to an existing program, so Total Commander would have to be rebuilt from scratch. This is completely impossible within a reasonable time frame.
OWASP rules are very strict, so Total Commander would no longer be able to use third party plugins.
The security assessment would have to be performed by a specialized company, and costs up to $75'000 per year and program (so $150'000 for 32bit+64-bit). This is not sustainable even with a subscription.
In conclusion, access to Google Drive will unfortunately no longer be possible after February 15, 2024.
https://www.ghisler.com/googledrivehelp.htm

I think we need @zenju's opinion on this

xCSxXenon

"Plugins as such cannot be certified, only applications. Google Drive access would have to be built directly into Total Commander."

Google Drive access is built into FFS and isn't added as a plugin, but that does still leave the question of whether or not it was programmed according "to spec" and what the cost would be to get it assessed.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync already did the assessment about two months ago, and... it passed! I'm surprised myself!
FreeFileSync 13.3 [2024-01-07]
------------------------------
Completed CASA security assessment for Google Drive

xCSxXenon

FreeFileSync already did the assessment about two months ago, and... it passed! I'm surprised myself!
FreeFileSync 13.3 [2024-01-07]
------------------------------
Completed CASA security assessment for Google Drive
Zenju, 18 Jan 2024, 17:50
Woohoo! I wasn't able to find any info about real-world costs for these assessments. Would you share? I completely understand if you would rather not though.