Unable to install FFS on desktop (after years of use on that machien)

Get help for specific problems

Allie

Greetings,

I am a loyal user (and donor) to FFS. It is by far the best file sync program I have ever used. Yesterday when I wanted to sync various important folders, the program would not start. Investigating (I am Comptia A+ Certified so computer literate) I noticed the entire folder was empty. No idea how that happened.

So, download multiples times from the donational link and each time the same message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I have admin privileges AND I attempted all 4 methods suggested by Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you-try-to-install-update-or-start-a-program-or-file-46361133-47ed-6967-c13e-e75d3cc29657

Note: I have checked Properties, security for all incidences related to FFS and I have all access (Full control, modify, etc.)

Also:
1. I used an uninstall program to completely remove the program on the desktop.
2. I downloaded from the donation site and attempted to install. Same message.
3. I downloaded it to another hard drive on the computer. Same error message.
4. Downloaded the” zip“ version and installed on a 1 TB Samsung drive I have (with almost nothing on it)
5. Repeated the above 4 or 5 times.
6. Removed some of the older installed from my account so it is only showing my work laptop (HP 850).

After testing other programs in case this was permanent I am even more convinced the FFS is the absolute best program out there! I need to backup important folders and am at a lost.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks

Ed (Allie was my cat's name 😁)

xCSxXenon

Run in an Administrator CMD:
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow

Then run an 'in-place' upgrade for Windows by downloading the most recent mediacreationtool and running it, keeping all apps and data of course.

Allie

Thank you so much. Running now. 😁

Allie

A Saturday 27 January 2024 miracle!

I spent hours last weekend attempting to install my FFS after it mysteriously disappeared. Before looking for a replacement (which I did last weekend) I decided to attempt a my donation installation one more time. Viola! It installed perfectly AND all of my usual syncs were listed! It is truly a miracle. I also took a screenshot of my sync so if it ever happens again I know what I've been doing every Saturday for many years. Appreciate the suggestions. No idea what happened, all I know is how relieved I am. 😁 (Oh, and I did follow all of the suggestions from @xCSxXenon last weekend, kept trying, nothing. Maybe my home desktop just needed to "think" about it.

Plerry

> I also took a screenshot of my sync so if it ever happens again I know what I've been doing every Saturday for many years.

You can also simply save your FFS sync configuration(s) as a *.ffs_gui or
*.ffs_batch file and (re)load that/those configuration(s) if you need to.
Much simpler than "restoring" from a screenshot ...

Allie

Thanks @Plerry.