Problem with syncing sub-folders

Get help for specific problems

megadyne

So this seems really weird. Two drives, let's say X:\ and Y:\; they are roughly the same but a few differences that I want to compare then sync in both directions. They have folders and sub-folders, here's the one that gives me issues:

X:\Documents\Apart
and
Y:\Documents\Apart

They each have sub-folders; altogether there are some 70-odd files on each side. Using the Windows "Properties" parameter to look at each "Apart" sub-folder, they both have the same number of files (72 files, 9 folders) and occupy exactly the same number of bytes on disc. So they are indeed identical and don't need syncing.

Here's the problem:
If I compare X:\Documents\Apart and Y:\Documents\Apart I see no results in the list, and a message "All files are in sync". So far so good.
BUT, if I compare X:\Documents and Y:\Documents then FFS wants to copy the sub-folder "Apart" from L to R and from R to L.

I've noticed this before, and just let it drop - but these are important files, I can't risk losing or damaging them.

Any ideas why this behaviour could show up?

TIA

xCSxXenon

Set FFS to compare X:\Documents and Y:\Documents, run a compare, and post a screenshot of the results.
The issue seems to lie in the naming of the "Documents" folders, almost like one uses a special character that looks like a regular letter. You can also confirm the names by opening CMD, navigating to each driver, running 'dir', and then comparing the folder names in there. I have see folders where the displaying text is different than the actual name in the filesystem.

megadyne

Thanks, good idea. Bit stuck right now but will it first thing in the morning.

megadyne

Grrh. "will try it ..."

megadyne

Problem solved, thanks to your suggestion to use CMD window, etc. There was a one-letter difference in the sub-folder names (which are a bit more complicated than the shortened version I gave above) which isn't obvious when the sub-folders are selected explicitly. Another case of seeing what you expect to see, not what is actually there.

Thank you!