How to activate Business Edition features?

Get help for specific problems

T313C0mun1s7

I just purchased business edition and installed it via the provided download. The zip file contained a .key, but I don't know what to do with it. I really need parallel connections, but the feature is greyed out and says I need the donate edition. Since I paid for the business edition, this should be included. how do I activate the key?

xCSxXenon

For Windows, unzip the folder you downloaded and run the executable inside

T313C0mun1s7

Yes, that is exactly what I did. The zip contained a key and a setup file. I ran the setup, but not all the features appear to be activated.

xCSxXenon

Just to troubleshoot, uninstall FFS first and then try again. If it still doesn't work, see if you can verify where FFS is being run from. To do this, open FFS, find it in the "Details" tab of Task Manager, right-click, and "Open file location". Make sure that matches where the new version is being installed.

T313C0mun1s7

Ok, I think I need to let this compare finish first. It is at 53 minutes and just over 3.3 million files. This is why I need more than one filesystem operation at a time.

T313C0mun1s7

Still no joy. If it will let me attach screenshots I will. Of note, the zip files included [Business] in the filename, but nothing about the installer or the installed program indicates it is anything other than free. It is even propmpting me to upgrade to the Donation Edition. Also, I can setup a connection, but the Parallel file operations feature is greyed out with a link to "Requires FreeFileSync Donation Edition."
DownloadsFolderAndInstaller.png
DownloadsFolderAndInstaller.png (278.54 KiB) Viewed 488 times
DownloadsFolderAndInstaller.png
DownloadsFolderAndInstaller.png (278.54 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Attachments
ConnectionConfiguration.png
ConnectionConfiguration.png (175.13 KiB) Viewed 488 times

Plerry

I suppose installing the Business Edition works the same way as for the Donation Edition.
As xCSxXenon already wrote, you need to unzip the file you downloaded.
That is: unzip all files in the zip-file into one and the same (unzipped) folder, and then run the installer from that (unzipped) folder.
Do not
• just unzip the installer or
• run the installer from within the zipped file.

T313C0mun1s7

Yes, which is what I did.
I attempted to do a overnight sync anyhow. Came in to a system that was using 100% of all 40 cores, a fact I could only see from the hypervisor as the VM was completely unresponsive. I had to force reboot it. At this point I guess I just have to consider this software untrustworthy, as I have to move forward and I can't have a software package bringing down a production server.

xCSxXenon

In the picture, the setup executable and the key file are in the same directory, so it should be working. The installers that I download DO have "[Donation Edition]" in the names, so you might be downloading the free edition, even though you are using the correct link. Zenju may have to confirm at this point, as it looks like you are being sent incorrect files.

therube

What OS?

(I don't know the business version specifically, but...)

Check to see if there is a "Registered.dat" file in FFS's installation_dir/Resources/?
If not, see if manually coping the .key file into there, & renaming it to "Registered.dat" then gives you a registered version?

xCSxXenon

What OS?

(I don't know the business version specifically, but...)

Check to see if there is a "Registered.dat" file in FFS's installation_dir/Resources/?
If not, see if manually coping the .key file into there, & renaming it to "Registered.dat" then gives you a registered version? therube, 14 Feb 2024, 16:15
Screenshot shows Windows.
If you are referring to this: viewtopic.php?t=11069
That won't work. That OP copied the Registered.dat file from where FFS was being installed to where they were really running FFS from. Their free version was installed in the user's folder and they are installing the new version 'for all users', which is using the system's application folder.

T313C0mun1s7

At this point I have to get this server (Windows Server 2022) into production on Saturday, and I can no longer trust this software between the disabled feature that I specifically justified the purchase for, and the saturating the CPU on a 40 core server, it is just not something I can chance. I guess I am back to running multiple instances of FileZilla in tandem and staying up all hours to keep restarting it. I have over 5TB of mailboxes (this is an email server) to try to have in sync for the cut over. Mail is constantly changing, and SFTP means touching every file even if just to skip it, so my typical delta is taking 12-16 hours to complete. My hope for this software was that it was better at the comparison and only transferring changes than standard SFTP is. I don't have time to chase this right now.
Site Admin

Zenju

As per your screenshot, you're not installing the Business Edition, consequently you're not getting the Business Edition: Solution: Use the installer from the zip file.

In the picture, the setup executable and the key file are in the same directory, so it should be working. xCSxXenon, 14 Feb 2024, 15:09
The exe is clearly from the free edition, not from the .zip. The screenshot even shows that the free Edition was downloaded 6 minutes before he downloaded the Business Edition zip.

T313C0mun1s7

@Zenju - That is the installer that was in the zip file you linked in the email when I purchased it yesterday. Notice the filename includes business. I did not download from any other source.
Site Admin

Zenju

@Zenju - That is the installer that was in the zip file you linked in the email when I purchased it yesterday. Notice the filename includes business. T313C0mun1s7, 14 Feb 2024, 17:21
This is not what the screenshot shows.

T313C0mun1s7

On the contrary, that is exactly what that screenshot shows. That is the contents of the downloads folder, with the .zip file I was provided and the 2 files that were archived in the zip file extracted to the same folder.

I did not create the .zip file, it was provided. So if the files that were archived inside it are not the correct files, that is the fault of whatever process or person created the archive. Also, if that is the case, then that is strike 3 for me on trusting this software. If I can't even get the proper files sent to me when I purchase the business edition, and I have had issues with the version I was supplied, how can I ever trust this on a production server to not cause problems? Especially since it has already done so.