Recovering The Files Deleted by FreeFileSync

Get help for specific problems

ehavur

Dear All,

I was dumb and in a kind of hurry and I guess I made a mistake.

The result is losing 40 GB of data on my drive. Here is what happened:

For the source, I chose the D partition of my hard disc which I use for all my documents and files that I want to keep in case of a Windows disaster. For the target, I chose the removable disc attached to my computer. I started the program, but it showed a warning. I don’t remember what the warning was, but it was something like there is too much difference between the source and target areas. I ignored that warning and started to sync. It took just 1-2 minutes to complete. I understand that there was something wrong, but I was not expecting that the program deleted all my files.

I have tried different recovery programs, Recuva (free) and EaseUS (paid).

Recuva recovered the files but when I try to open them, I can’t. The system tells me that the file format and extension don't match, that the file may be corrupted or unsafe, that I shouldn't open the file if I don't trust the source and asks me if I want to open it anyway. When I click yes, the file is empty.

When I tried the EaseUS, it recovered some of the files and folders but not the most important ones. I get the same error as I get for the ones that Recuva recovered for most of the files.

Can you advise me a software to recover my files. If you are pretty sure that it can recover my files, tell me a software name. I don’t mind if it is free or not if I must pay for it.

Thank you for your help and support in advance and have a nice day.

Plerry

What was your "Delete and overwrite" setting (Synchronization Setting, F8)
That setting defaults to Recycle Bin, in which case you should be able to recover files from there, if available.
If you changed that setting into Permanent, you only hope is a suitable recovery tool.
If you changed that setting to Versioning, you should be able to recover files from the selected Versioning location.

xCSxXenon

The solution to this is to have a better backup system proactively. Unfortunately, software recovery tools, like Recuva and EaseUS, are your best chance and they provide limited results as you see. Even if you had FFS set to delete files to Recycle Bin, 40GB wouldn't all fit in the Bin unless the drive is 1TB drive or larger, but it is worth checking in there.
Once you sort this out, figure out a more robust backup system. I pay for OneDrive cloud storage, which has its own Recycle Bin. I also have a backup folder on a NAS that I only sync to periodically and manually, typically once a week, so I have time to realize a mistake and restore from there. I also keep an air-gapped backup in the form of a portable SSD

ehavur

@Plery
Thank you for your reply. I didn't change anything and checked recycle bin but there was no files.

@xCSxXenon
Thank you for your reply. I have been thinking that I must be proactive since the issue. Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions.

I wonder if i pay a professional IT expert who is good at very good at recovering, could he/she save my files with some professional software?

Otherwise i will say good bye my files 😥

xCSxXenon

I am a professional IT "expert", that's know I know that you are more than likely SOL :p

ehavur

I am a professional IT "expert", that's know I know that you are more than likely SOL :p xCSxXenon, 21 Feb 2024, 18:18
Well, thank you for your efforts but then I am in HUGE trouble!😭