Is there any exclude and include within the excluded feature?

Get help for specific problems

mohamedraesa

I tried to exclude some folder from sync and I want to include just one or 2 subfolders inside that folder, then the include option is overridden by the exclude and not being scanned, any idea?

xCSxXenon

You can create a second sync pair to do this. Click the '+' and sync that subfolder directly from the "source" to the "destination", then change the inclusion filter for that pair by removing the '*' and adding the individual subfolders, leaving the exclude section as default.

X:\Parent Folder\
---- I want some of this subfolder\
--------I want to sync this folder\
--------But not this folder\
---- I want all of this subfolder\

You would have a sync pair that syncs
"X:\Parent Folder"
to
"Y:\Parent Folder"
and exclude "\I want some of this subfolder\"

Then a second pair that syncs
"X:\Parent Folder\I want some of this subfolder"
to
"Y:\Parent Folder\I want some of this subfolder"
and include "\I want to sync this folder\"

mohamedraesa

You can create a second sync pair to do this. Click the '+' and sync that subfolder directly from the "source" to the "destination", then change the inclusion filter for that pair by removing the '*' and adding the individual subfolders, leaving the exclude section as default.

X:\Parent Folder\
---- I want some of this subfolder\
--------I want to sync this folder\
--------But not this folder\
---- I want all of this subfolder\

You would have a sync pair that syncs
"X:\Parent Folder"
to
"Y:\Parent Folder"
and exclude "\I want some of this subfolder\"

Then a second pair that syncs
"X:\Parent Folder\I want some of this subfolder"
to
"Y:\Parent Folder\I want some of this subfolder"
and include "\I want to sync this folder\" xCSxXenon, 26 Feb 2024, 15:19

What if I have many directories i want to do the same?

It will be painful to have pairs for all these, and sometimes you'll forget to sync the second pair

I think it will be simpler if programmatically changed that behavior to make the inclusion override the exclusion if it is inside one of the main excluded directories

xCSxXenon

Well, the 'second pair' isn't a whole other configuration, you can have a single FFS config sync multiple pairs. Then it's still a single action to sync everything

xCSxXenon

And yes, it can be complicated if you are constantly adding/removing folders, because then the filter needs to be changed just as often. But, if the folders are relatively static and only the content inside them changes much, then you don't have to worry about chasing it down. You could also put the subfolders into two different categories, "not synced" and "synced", where each of those folders contain what you do and don't want included/excluded. Then new folders go wherever appropriate and you don't have to mess with the FFS config at all

mohamedraesa

Well, the 'second pair' isn't a whole other configuration, you can have a single FFS config sync multiple pairs. Then it's still a single action to sync everything xCSxXenon, 26 Feb 2024, 18:32
Oh!!, it's amazing, I didn't know I could do something like that, though it's not exactly what I wanted but it's a great feature I didn't know and I can use it as a workaround or even eliminating my sync files

EDIT: I would suggest to add ability to give each pair a nickname for easier distinguishing because sometimes both folders have the same name, and drive letters is not practical to remember each time

I really appreciate, thanks a lot

I wish though to pass the original problem as a feature request from developers, I think it'll be an additional useful function

😄

Plerry

... EDIT: I would suggest to add ability to give each pair a nickname for easier distinguishing because sometimes both folders have the same name, and drive letters is not practical to remember each timemohamedraesa, 26 Feb 2024, 20:08
You sort of can.
You could save each left-right folder pair as an individual *.ffs_gui or *ffs_batch sync configuration.
By selecting multiple of those saved sync configurations in the top-left Configuration window in the FFS GUI, you can flexibly create your multiple left-right pair sync configuration.