Compare Left to Recycle Bin, Delete If Match Found

Get help for specific problems

Bevink

Hello,
I'm trying to come up with a "clean" way to manage the deleting of files from the source folder. My current setup is a local drive folder which does a custom sync to a network drive. In the software, the local folder is considered the source, but really the network drive is considered the "truest" version of the synced folder. The custom sync will only allow more files to be added, which is fine as I do not want to accidentally delete and lose files since multiple people sync to this same network drive folder (If it exists in local and not server -> copy to server, if its newer in local -> copy to server, if it's newer in server -> copy to local, if it exists in server and not in local -> copy to local, never remove any files).

Currently if I want to delete anything, I would have to sync all devices and then delete the item(s) on all devices and the network location. My idea right now is to create a "master" folder that will mirror the network location (network -> master) then when a file needs to be deleted, it is deleted from the master and a separate batch is ran that mirrors the master to network (master -> network) and versions the deleted files into a recycle bin on the network location. This seems to work fine right now. My issue now is how to compare the local drive to the recycle bin and have the local files be deleted (not versioned) ONLY if they are present in the network recycle bin.

I know there are other ways to do this that albeit seem easier, but I'm trying to avoid A.) The accidental deletion of very important files, B.) The lack of a backup for said deleted files, and C.) Anyone and everyone having the ability to delete files from the network (this master folder setup would be specific to an admin/manager).

I'm willing to take any suggestions I can get

xCSxXenon

Another sync config that mirrors the network location to the local location? Then anything deleted from the network location will be deleted from the local copy when ran. Or another location pair the syncs MASTER to LOCAL in the same configuration that syncs MASTER to NETWORK

Bevink

This would work, and I'll most likely do this if all else fails. My ideal goal would be to run just the one batch file that handles everything, since adding more steps on the user side will make some people less than pleased. I'm almost tempted to create some custom rules within FFS to try and make this work, but I'd hate to be stuck on one version indefinitely

xCSxXenon

You could write a .bat script that runs the syncs via command line, one after another. Or use post-sync commands in one config to call another to run