How to sync Folders but not files?

Get help for specific problems

amasas

Hi All,

I am trying to exclude files in a particular folder from a larger sync (many folders). The files are large in this folder so I want to exclude but still want to see which folders have been added.

Include rules:
prticular_folder\*\

Exclude rules:
prticular_folder\*:

The folders show up as do nothing category.

Thank you,

Andrius

Plerry

See here.
So, it seems you would need to exclude *: without the folder-name part in front of it.
However, if that turns out to be true, I fail to see the logic behind it.

amasas

Thanks Plerry. I still don't get it, because I need this particular folder to be treated differently then the rest of the sync. So I need to specify the folder in the rules.

Currently, it picks up the folders, without the files, identifying them as different. The problem though is the action for sync is set to do nothing:
Screenshot 2024-03-01 101006.png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 101006.png (37.05 KiB) Viewed 192 times
I could manually set to copy them to the left, but that would defeat the automation I seek.

xCSxXenon

A picture of the whole FFS window might help

Plerry

> I still don't get it, because I need this particular folder to be treated differently then the rest of the sync. So I need to specify the folder in the rules.

As per my previous reply, I don't understand what goes wrong.
If all else fails, because " I need this particular folder to be treated differently", you can always use two left-right folders pairs.
The first pair would be your present left-right pair (for which files need to be synced), and for which you can add a (global or local) Filter rule to Exclude prticular_folder\.
Your second pair would be
[ProperLeftDriveAndPath]\prticular_folder => [ProperRightDriveAndPath]\prticular_folder
with a local Exclude rule *:. If that still does result in a "do nothing" for the (just) folders you want to be copied, you can specify a local Custom sync variant according to your needs.

The global Comparison (F6), Filter (F7) and Sync (F8) settings can be defined using the icons above the left-right pair(s); the local settings via the icons in between each of the left and right locations.