Empty source folder after an Update

Get help for specific problems

rhskarpinski

I'm Using FreeFileSync on MacBookProM1 running Sonoma.

I have two simple (no nested folders) Folders: "OldFiles" and "OldFilesBackup"; each
already has some files in it.

I am looking to copy all files from "OldFiles" to "OldFilesBackup", but then to erase files older than
a certain date from the "OldFiles" folder but NOT have them removed from
"OldFilesBackup".

It looks like an "Update" synchronization will copy all the files from "OldFiles" and add them to "OldFilesBackup" if they don't already exist there.

I need to be educated on how--at the completion of the "Update"--to trigger a process that will empty the "OldFiles" folder without messing up the newly-updated "OldFilesBackup" folder.

Any advice/education/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

--RK

Plerry

As described, Update seems to be the way to go for syncing OldFiles => OldFilesBackup .

> how ... to trigger a process that will empty the "OldFiles" folder without messing up the newly-updated "OldFilesBackup" folder.

FFS does not seem capable of emptying OldFiles for you.
Instead, you would need to run a post-sync command.
This can be configured in the FFS GUI in the Synchronization tab (F8) bottom-right. Choose On Completion and specify the command to be executed. Here you can only enter a single line, so if your desired action requires multiple lines of commands, make it a script and launch that script from the FFS On Completion command-line.
Alternatively, you can run a script that first launches FFS, waits until FFS has completed and then runs the remainder of the script to perform the desired remaining tasks.

I am not a MAC-person, but you should be able to find clues on your custom script via https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+delete+files+older+than+x+days

rhskarpinski

Perfect answer...just what I needed. And such a quick response.

Many thanks.

--RK