FreeFileSync broken

Discuss new features and functions

cookie170

Again: I can't use FreeFileSync, because of the stupid and wrong registration of ten different installations on ten different computers, which is only on one notebook. The maintainer doesn't care, because I reported the issue three years ago and ten days ago. OK, I'll spent some time to install and config syncthing and I think, you also should look for a different software: I never gave my ok that every time I start FFS to grab my MAC address and use it. Who knows what's transmitted to FFS else?

Plerry

> ... because of the stupid and wrong registration ...

That is quite presumptuous
The only thing fair to say is that there is a mismatch between the way the FFS donation edition tries to enforce installation on just a fair (non-excessive) amount of computers and some less common OSs that continuously change their MAC address.
In those rare cases the donation edition might not be the way to go.
Zenju (the FFS author) has acknowledged above mismatch and been forthcoming by offering to return your donation.

> I can't use FreeFileSync, ...

That is right-out wrong.
You can use the standard FFS edition without any limitation because, being free, that edition does not try to keep track of the amount of installations. So, the free standard edition can serve you (almost) as good as a non-problematic donation edition would, despite your usage of an OS with less common "features".
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't know a good alternative that could be used instead of the MAC. Unfortunately you are one of only a handful of people for which the current MAC address-based checking doesn't work. To be precise it's only two that I know of, you and JanW. No device checking is also not a solution because it can and will be and was already exploited (yes, the cliche russian hacker forum with thousands of installations already happened)
That said, the best workaround would be for you to get a stable MAC address. I don't know how this can be set for openSUSE, but Google probably knows.