Sync files after a defined date

Get help for specific problems

k0d3g3ar

Hi there, I'm trying to find out the way to achieve this. It looks like it can be done, but maybe one of you experts might point me in the right direction.

I am sync'ing a very large collection of files (about 7TB) to a smaller portable hard drive (5TB). The original store will always be the source, but I use the smaller hard drive to transfer all new files that are added to the original collection. The problem is that if I sync the entire original collection, it exceeds the capacity of the portable hard drive. Since the file growth is consistent and about 200GB per week, just buying a larger hard drive all the time isn't really a viable solution for the long term.

Since the portable drive I'm using is just a transport of files to a 2nd storage location, I really only need files that are added since a specified date. The original files that are stored are never changed - just added to. So if I can set a date, and tell FFS to just sync files with a modification date/time AFTER a nominated date, then it would work just great.

The question I have is how can I do that? Is there a setting that lets me nominate a specific date and have it sync anything that is found to be different AFTER that date?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards
K

xCSxXenon

There is a 'Time Span' setting in the filter section of the configuration options

k0d3g3ar

Yes, but the time span gives me only the options of:
Today
This Month
This Year
Last x days

I could possibly use that, but it is the opposite logic of what I need. Since I do the sync every day, it would require me to update these settings manually each time. What I need is to fix a date and say "Anything AFTER this date". Not going from the current date, looking back.

Hope that makes sense.

xCSxXenon

Oh yes, I see! The only option I see currently is to run a comparison, right-click the header above the list of files, and use the 'select time span' option from there. That is obviously not a good long-term solution, as you have to compare all files first. Actually, I am unsure if a date selection gets saved in the configuration file and persists between sessions. Two unknowns currently, if a date range is selected there:
- Does it get saved in the config and persist between application sessions?
- Does this range act as a filter on its own?

Zenju would have to chime in to know definitively or test on your own. If it doesn't work, I could see this feature being a valuable addition that shouldn't be awfully difficult to implement.

k0d3g3ar

Thank you. Yes, I would see it as valuable. I could script this with rsync (I'm a Linux & Mac guy so I could do it via CLI) but I prefer the GUI here of FFS. It just is easier to visually know the results of it.

My use case is probably common. I transport a growing file system from one location to another, but I literally take a portable hard drive of the new files with me on the plane, and just plug it into the destination system and copy the changed files to the synchronized file storage there. Think of it like someone who has to go a data center each week, and collect the backup images for that period and take them to offsite storage as a precaution. Although I'd love to do this over the Internet, the sheer volume of files here is prohibitive unfortunately.

edi

I have been waiting for this feature for a long time. It would be of great help to me.

Plerry

For the source-side (source => portable-drive), this sounds a lot like what I suggested as a Fast option or variant in this reply.
Let's see if Zenju is open to it.

For the destination-side (portable-drive => destination), it could be a plain Update sync.