"Detect moved files" feature -bug on Mac OS

Get help for specific problems

herheque

The Mac audio DAW program, "Logic", saves its documents as a package- a folder disguised as a single file in the Finder view. When this document "file" is renamed, the "Detect moved files" rule does update the name correctly, and apparently it efficiently avoids recopying the content files and folders. But the newly named "file" (and many of it content folders) have an updated modification time. Also the Group permissions for the package are changed from rwx rwx rwx to rwx r-x r-x.

Obviously the mod time change is a serious problem - a document (aka package file in this case) should not change mod date when simply renamed.

xCSxXenon

Seems like renaming those document packages is also changing stuff inside, no? If so, it is being modified and the mod time should probably change accordingly. On Windows, there is the option of copying over permissions, it's in the Tools->Options section, maybe give that a shot. It may require running as admin/sudo for macOS. I am only guessing as I don't daily drive a Mac and only use it for creating macOS installers at this point.

Plerry

I don't know MAC, but if those packages/folders behave like folders in Windows, then just like in Windows FFS may simply not be able to retain folder modification timestamps.
See here.

herheque

On a Mac, the Finder retains create and mod dates when a folder is renamed or moved - so this is the expected behaviour that I would hope FreeFileSync could learn how to emulate without a huge programming effort. Also, the Finder does not change group level permissions but FreeFileSync does.

And to the question of changes within the package, Finder is not changing anything but FreeFileSync is changing the mod date of enclosed folders (just like the mod date of the package folder itself). But mod dates of enclosed files (not folderrs) are not changed by FreeFileSync.