Exfat ENOENT: No such file or directory [lstat] on MacOS

Get help for specific problems

Hydrant1941

Hello,

I get the following error: ENOENT: No such file or directory [lstat]
on 2 drives, both formatted in exFAT.

On one drive, when the error was present, I did not find the files mentioned. It's an HDD.
On the other drive, an SSD, the error points to a folder but I can access everything in there and do not notice anything wrong.

On the SSD, which is more important to me, example paths are:
"Volumes/SCHWANKSSD /Kurzfilm Verdrängung/01 Videos/Bibliothek - 12.03.2024"
or
"/Volumes/SCHWANKSSD /Kurzfilm Verdrängung/01 Videos/Büro - 12.03.2024/B CAM"

I have tried removing "-" and the "." but it did not change.

I am on a german system. full error translates to: "the file attributes of x cannot be read" and "ENOENT: No such file or directory [lstat]"

As the error mentions a file and points to a folder, it seems like FFS detects it as a file or smth.

I would like to use this drive as backup and it needs to be exFAT as it's used cross system.
What can I do? Does FFS not have the right permissions and if so, how do I fix it? I am new to MacOS.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Hydrant1941 on 13 Mar 2024, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrant1941

Ok I found a fix, that was fast.

Open disk utility on MacOS, run the Disk First Aid (for me it said there are no errors on the drive) - try to scan again in FFS.

For me now it works...weird that it happened on two different drives with two different files. I will try it with the other drive later too.

xCSxXenon

In Apple's infinite wisdom, First Aid only reports errors if it detected and couldn't fix an issue

Hydrant1941

Well, that behaviour is weird but lines up with what I saw.

I have to add that I had to use first aid every time I remounted the drive. But I noticed the name of the drive contains a " " (space" at the end. After removing that, it seems to be no issue anymore.
And for the HDD, actually for most of the files the issue on my second backup is the same, so it is not an issue with exFAt, as the second backup is ZFS in TrueNAS. It could still be related to FFS or MacOS, though I have no clue. Luckily those files are not critical.