Please make it possible to put sync.ffs_db files elsewhere

Discuss new features and functions

PjotterTheMotter

Now, the sync.ffs_db files need to be written to source and destination folder.

But sometimes one doesn’t have write-access to the source folder, and this entire feature becomes unavailable.

Please make it possible to put the source - sync.ffs_db file elsewhere. Other people have asked for this in the past multiple times, but they were always dismissed. So people keep asking for it.

An easy fix would be to overrule the default file location in the ‘synchronization local settings’ tab under ‘Use database file to detect changes’. If one could provide an alternative location there, it would be fixed and it would take minimal development efforts to do so.

N.B. I am a donating user. I don’t know if it is important to mention that for support reasons…

anotheruser

You can turn off the database. I just ran into the same thing when attempting to transferring from iphone to Win 11.
Toolbar > Actions > Sync Settings (F8) > untick "use database to detect file changes"

PjotterTheMotter

I know.
The point is that people want to turn the feature ON (not off).
My solution would make it possible to actually use the feature even if the sync.ffs_db file cannot be written to the source folder.

PjotterTheMotter

In stead of continually telling people that this is not possible, and do nothing, it would be great and more helpful to actually implement a solution. I see absolutely no reason why this isn’t possible.

xCSxXenon

If you actually read through them, you'll see why it is the way it is and the proposed workaround from the developer so that you can solve your very niche issue.
Other people have asked for this in the past multiple times, but they were always dismissed.
Asking for it over and over hasn't worked so you thought it would for you?

PjotterTheMotter

I have actually read through them, its a pretty poor explanation, and never was there actual detailed insight provided into what was in the db files. The so-called work around with symbolic links doesn’t work in my situation (as it wouldn’t work with others that were dismissed also).

It’s clear that asking over and over, indeed is pointless here. Some developers rather endlessly defend what they have, and why things aren’t possible, than thinking in solutions and making things happen. Being a developer myself I’ve seen this behavior many times.

I was enthusiastic about FFS, made a donation and recommended it to friends, but I’m disappointed now, and I won’t bother you again.

Plerry

@PjotterTheMotter
You seem to be one of those people only willing to accept a solution exactly along their line.
The author has indicated a perfectly workable method to deal with your "problem". But hey, it is not exactly along your line ...

PjotterTheMotter

If you actually read my post, you've seen that I told you that the proposed solution doesn't work in my case (as well as others that have been dismissed by the same arguments, I've read on the forum). In my case it is not possible to create a symbolic link to the source. Some others couldn't as well for their reasons. But keep on bashing them one by one, and be happy. I'm done with this.

PjotterTheMotter

Since you aren't the developers at all Plerry and xCSxXenon (I don't know if you are programmers at all) I won't address you anymore.

I apologize to the actual programmer @Zenju. Thanks Zenju for creating a great tool. And maybe you can read over this post and do with it whatever you like. For context: I'm syncing from a shared folder on a 3rd party Google Drive with a huge amount of data. I have no write rights there, and cannot create a symbolic link to it, since I'm using the built in Google Drive sync feature that shows a link of its own to the shared folder.

Being a developer myself (C++/C# etc), I understand that you might not want to fix stuff for very few people, but if enough people report a problem it gains priority.