Cannot read file directory "/"

Get help for specific problems

Magnaha23

I am trying to use FTP (Yes I know this is old and not secure) that connects to an old UNIX based server. It runs OpenVMS. I am getting an error where it is connection but it is trying to automatically change the directory to "/" which would probably be fine on a Windows System but it throws an error for this situation.
The error: Cannot read directory "ftp://username@IPaddress".

CURLE_REMOTE_ACCESS_DENIED: Server denied you to change to the given directory 550 %%RMS-F-SYN, file specification syntax error: / [curl_easy_perform]

So when setting up an FTP connection, the directory folder automatically fills in the directory filed with a "/". Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Normally, if this is done manually, we just open the FTP through Windows explorer, enter username and password, and then we transfer files to that directory that opens up. We do not change or go into any other folders. So if I can get that to do the same thing in FreeFileSync, then everything would work perfectly.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have been struggling with this for a while now.

xCSxXenon

Can't you change the directory being mounted from "/" to whatever you want?

Magnaha23

Can't you change the directory being mounted from "/" to whatever you want? xCSxXenon, 17 Mar 2024, 19:28
I have tried different things, but the issue is that server I am FTPing into does not allow any directory change/mounting. If I delete that "/" it just puts it back by default. It is also possible I do not know what I should put for an OpenVMS directory.

xCSxXenon

If you click "browse" does it not give you a directory tree to select from?

Magnaha23

If you click "browse" does it not give you a directory tree to select from? xCSxXenon, 17 Mar 2024, 20:33
No. It throws the same error. The OpenVMS server does not allow changing any directories. It only allows access to read/write in that home directory of the username used.
Site Admin

Zenju

Are you able to provide a test login into this server?

When no path is specified yet, FreeFileSync detects the home path and uses it as the default when opening the folder picker. So despite the error when trying to change to "/", the folder picker should still show the determined home path and allow it to be selected.