Slow sync on 256Gb usb - solution

Get help for specific problems

Mike Austin

I found extremely slow sync on a new SanDisk 256Gb usb stick. Even creating the .lock files was slow. This replaced a 128Gb stick that had no sync problems. I run FFS 13.4 on Windows 10 at the moment,
On 256Gb usb sticks, the exFAT allocation unit size can default to 256Kb instead of the 128Kb on smaller drives. Reformatting the 256Gb usb with 128Kb allocation unit size was the solution!

Jeffreykopp

After getting a new computer with Windows 11, I have the same problem. Reformatting the USB drive with smaller allocation units didn't help, however.

Greg12

I switched to external SSD drives. More expensive but for under $100 you can get a big drive that's really fast. More than 10 times faster than the regular USB flash drives. I get maybe 25 megabytes per second on a regular flash drive where I get 600 to 700 Mbps on an SSD so you might want to if you can drop $ on an SSD and see if that makes your life a lot better.

Jeffreykopp

Thanks for that suggestion. I found a relatively small one for just $18 on Amazon. I will give it a try.

JTJ

I've been stung by those cheap ones (16 T for $30), they can be horribly slow and some won't even write. jUST BE CAREFUL!

Jeffreykopp

Thanks for the prompt reply. I belatedly checked the reviews and that cheap drive is indeed bad. I was able to cancel the order and ordered a Toshiba for $60.

Greg12

I would stay away from that thing. You CAN'T get a real SSD for $18. It will be 50+ depending on side.
Remember, your goal is to make your life easier.

Jeffreykopp

I bought a Toshiba Canvio Basics external hard drive and it works. I wish I knew why my Dell Optiplexes won't read or write USB thumb drives.