Error message I don't understand

Get help for specific problems

mitrajoon

When I go to update my D drive to my backup drive I get an error message with hundreds of files saying that they will be ignored because they changed in both drives. That is exactly why I am using this program, to sync the changes I've made in the D Drive to my the files in my backup drive! I've been using FFS for many years and this has never happened before. I'm sure in this latest version, there has been some change that I missed or need to make, can someone help me?
Attachments
FFS.docx
(112.16 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

xCSxXenon

You are using 'two-way' syncing, meaning changes on either side propagate to the other. Your issue is that both sides have changed, therefore FFS can't know which side you really want to keep!
You can fix these conflicts yourself by deleting the version you don't want, by running a comparison in FF and manually dictating what action to take for each conflict, or by switching to 'mirror' syncing which always overwrites the right side with the left side. Consider the pitfalls of this choice though

mitrajoon

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly. I want to copy my D drive to my F Drive (backup). Note my D Drive is current data only while my F Drive contains much more data going back many years.

I have 4 options: 2 Way, Mirror, Update and Custom. I choose Update which, according to FFS, should "Copy new and updated files to the right folder". That's an exact quote. I have been doing this every month or so for around 10 years.

After I've copied my D Drive to my first back up drive (F) I do the same thing with a second back up Drive (G). I then Mirror F and G to confirm everything was copied correctly which assures I have 2 backup drives in addition to my main data drive D. FWI, I also back up D everyday to an internal backup drive E. Again I have been doing this consistently for 10 years. Having these back ups has saved me many times because most of these files are images that I am constantly working on and making improvements to. I really need a reliable process.

I am desperate to figure what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

xCSxXenon

My original explanation still applies, the file has been updated in both locations so FFS doesn't know which one to keep. You will have to resolve these conflicts manually

mitrajoon

First thank you for sticking with me. I'm sorry to be so dense but don't understand what to delete. What "version" (version of what) are you referring to? I only have my D drive and my back up drives. There's nothing I want to delete. I don't want to lose anything on the backup drives. I just want to update/overwrite the files on the backup drive that have changed on the D drive.