FFS crashes my Macs

Get help for specific problems

troels

I run fairly large sync jobs, typically between my local NAS and GDrive.

Several of my jobs fail, actually causing my Mac (a Mac Mini 2) to reboot. I had thought maybe something was wrong on the Mac but I got a new Macbook Pro and I have the exact same issue. I also had this on my previous Mac Mini 1. The logs are of course not there because the job does not complete.

I have one job on which this is 100% repeatable.

My workaround is to run a Windows 11 VMWare instance on the same Mac, with the same files and the sync job completes fine on there. I really don't want to have to run a VM just for FFS though.

I'd be happy to work with a dev using a debug version to help try and narrow and solve the issue. I suspect the Mac version is running out of memory or there is a similar issue. Clearly actual RAM is not the issue if I can complete the job on a VM on the same machine.

therube

Anything on the Mac end which may have logged data about the crash (reboot)?
100% repeatable
Anything special, peculiar with that job?
Maybe post its' settings.

Anything special, peculiar with particular files in that job?

troels

This is a straightforward Mirror sync, most settings are default. My Mac just says the system was restarted due to an issue, in the middle of the Sync job.

As I said, the same sync works fine in Windows. I think there's memory loss (or similar) with a large number of files on Mac and it has been this way for at least a couple of years - I posted about this previously but got no response to address it.

So I have to use Window (or a Windows VM) for anything that involves 1000+ files.