Is it posseble to kill Google in FreeFileSync?

Get help for specific problems

Miss_M

Hi
I have another question.

FreeFileSync is always trying to connect to Google port 53.
Is it possible to inactivate/disable/rip out Google from FreeFileSync or is FreeFileSync sponsored by Google?

Its kind of irritating installing it on devises as i have to set up local firewall rules on every device to stop FreeFileSync from reaching out to the internet.

xCSxXenon

I haven't run a Wireshark capture or anything, but I would expect that there wouldn't be any traffic FFS->Google unless the feature is used. Based on your request, I assume you don't have any GDrive connections used in FFS?

Update: Ran a Wireshark capture while opening FFS. I did not capture any traffic on port 53 for TCP or IP. Port 53 is used for DNS anyway and isn't related to Google at all. If FFS is using port 53, you are more than likely using FFS with a network location, which is obviously going to use DNS, I assume

Miss_M

I haven't run a Wireshark capture or anything, but I would expect that there wouldn't be any traffic FFS->Google unless the feature is used. Based on your request, I assume you don't have any GDrive connections used in FFS?

Update: Ran a Wireshark capture while opening FFS. I did not capture any traffic on port 53 for TCP or IP. Port 53 is used for DNS anyway and isn't related to Google at all. If FFS is using port 53, you are more than likely using FFS with a network location, which is obviously going to use DNS, I assume xCSxXenon, 02 Jun 2024, 16:54
My firewall reports all connections.. and i have blocked FreeFileSync from going online as it should not go online unless i tell it to.
I also get it tries to connect to api.freefilesync.org

xCSxXenon

Since it is licensed software, it is going to connect to the FFS servers

Miss_M

Since it is licensed software, it is going to connect to the FFS servers xCSxXenon, 02 Jun 2024, 17:50
why?
do they collect telemetry?

therube

(Don't know if this answers or not, but) https://freefilesync.org/privacy.php.

xCSxXenon

(Don't know if this answers or not, but) https://freefilesync.org/privacy.php. therube, 03 Jun 2024, 16:19
That seems to be for the website only:
"Online Privacy Policy Only
This privacy policy applies only to our online activities and is valid for visitors to our website and regarding information shared and/or collected there. This policy does not apply to any information collected offline or via channels other than this website.
"

Miss_M

(Don't know if this answers or not, but) https://freefilesync.org/privacy.php. therube, 03 Jun 2024, 16:19
That seems to be for the website only:
"Online Privacy Policy Only
This privacy policy applies only to our online activities and is valid for visitors to our website and regarding information shared and/or collected there. This policy does not apply to any information collected offline or via channels other than this website.
" xCSxXenon, 03 Jun 2024, 16:37
I agree, its only about the website, and i can not find any terms of use or policy regarding the program.
The api traffic is most likely encrypted so wireshark can't reveal much.
Site Admin

Zenju

The api traffic is most likely encrypted so wireshark can't reveal much. Miss_M, 03 Jun 2024, 17:21
FUD? Wireshark will work perfectly. Otherwise look at the source code if you want to know exactly. The internet access is the update checker, obviously.

Miss_M

The api traffic is most likely encrypted so wireshark can't reveal much. Miss_M, 03 Jun 2024, 17:21
FUD? Wireshark will work perfectly. Otherwise look at the source code if you want to know exactly. The internet access is the update checker, obviously. Zenju, 04 Jun 2024, 06:59
I only know some bash and some html, so i cant interpret the source code as I'm not a programmer.. I only worked with networks, hardware and system administration. So coding is way out of my league.

Okay, so how do i disable the update checker then?
I can not find any settings more then a manual check for updates under Help.