I made a RTS Helper app for MacOS

Discuss new features and functions

barnardnicholas

Hi all,

I just started using FreeFileSync/RealTimeSync and I'm really loving how easy it makes data management.
I recently ran into a specific use case for RealTimeSync on MacOS which prompted me to write a little helper app which I thought might be useful to others. Feel free to use/fork/modify the code as you wish:

https://github.com/barnardnicholas/realtimesync-macos-helper

The out-of-the-box workflow of RealTimeSync is a little too involved for some users. It involves configuring a synchronization task in FreeFileSync, exporting the task as a batch file and manually loading it into RealTimeSync, whereupon the real-time update process would begin. RealTimeSync can be automated using MacOS Calendar events, but the source/destination folders must be preset, ahead-of-time.

Our use case required non-tech-savvy users to be able to start and stop periods of real-time synchronization on folders which would be different from one day to the next, preferably with as simple-a-workflow as possible, on MacOS. So I created a helper app using AppleScript.

The 'Start RealTimeSync' app prompts the user for the source & destination folders, generates a batch file with other configuration preloaded, saves the generated batch file to a folder in the current user's Documents folder and launches RealTimeSync using the batch file, which then begins the process of folder-watching and real-time synchronization.

The RealTimeSync process can be stopped either by quitting the RTS app from the menu bar, or by running the 'Stop RealTimeSync' app, which simply tells the RTS app to quit.

Happy to hear thoughts/suggestions/constructive feedback. I hope this simple tool can be useful to others as well.

xCSxXenon

Nice idea. I hate that the source code isn't available. Who knows what this actually does