Upgrading config files from ancient FreeFileSync

Get help for specific problems

GSV3MiaC

It's a wonderful program which I have used for years, but I stupidly decided to upgrade to a newer version (I know, I know, if it ain't broke ..) and all my ffs_gui etc files no longer scan .. because the XML format has been changed.

<Comparison> turned into <Compare>, <LocalFilter> turned into <Filter> etc. etc. Can I remember what was set up .. can I hell!

If you MUST do that, at least provide some backward compatibility, and/or a conversion utility. I am sure it all happened years and years ago, but still

Anyway, I sent you a small donation, regardless....
Site Admin

Zenju

Looks like you tried to upgrade from Windows 3.1 to Windows 11 (metaphorically speaking) :> FreeFileSync does in fact provide backwards compatibility but only up to a point. Right now the latest version seems to cover the last 5 years!

The "conversion utility" already exists, it's FreeFileSync: use an older version of it, migrate your config (simply open in FFS), then install a newer one. Just make sure the steps are not more than a couple of years.

GSV3MiaC

Ah, my version was 8 years old so I missed the cutoff. As I said 'not broke, don't fix it'. Could have at least had a warning of the usual 'if upgrading from a version older than neolithic, do the following' type.

I managed to fix it my looking at the new XML format and bodging the old one.