Struggling to make "detect moved file" work when the source contains different remote folders

Get help for specific problems

TradeWinds

Say I have 2 remote folders, \\MY_NAS\A and \\MY_NAS\B, which are top level folders in my NAS over SMB.

I mirror them into a portable drive, like F:\offline_backup\A and F:\offline_backup\B.

I often move large files between A and B, so I hope to make "detect moved files" work when that happens.

In order to do so, I first need to put \\MY_NAS\A and \\MY_NAS\B into the same ffs job. I tried 2 different ways to achieve this:

Option 1: On the NAS side, symlink B into A, so B becomes \\MY_NAS\A\B, then I just sync A.
Option 2: On windows side, I mount both A and B inside the same folder (using windows symlink), for instance %UserProfile%\NAS\A and %UserProfile%\NAS\B. Then I just sync %UserProfile%\NAS.

With both methods, I was able to backup A and B in a single ffs job, however, when files move between A and B, "detect moved files" doesn't work; when files move from A to A, B to B, "detect moved files" does work. What's is the reason? What else can I try? Thanks.

xCSxXenon

Just use a single folder-pair.
Sync \\MY_NAS\ to F:\offline_backup
Then change the include filter to only include folders A and B

Using symlinks probably isn't going to solve the problem, but even if it could, it is way more complicated than it should be

TradeWinds

@xCSxXenon I don't think \\MY_NAS\ can be the source of a ffs job. It's not a folder. It can't hold sync.ffs_db.

If I use MacOS, \\MY_NAS won't even be part of the path. The path will be /Volumes/A and /Volulmes/B.)

xCSxXenon

Ah, I was assuming you were just short-handing the paths for simplicity/privacy....
Yes, you would need an SMB share with those locations inside