trying to sync malware research files

Get help for specific problems

jaybird

trying to sync malware research files, back in the day- the sync app just worked! Didn't care if it was moving malware, or files with path names too long... it's what made this app indispensable and amazing! It just worked... the creator was a god send. Heck, it even copied corrupted files just fine, encrypted files that would otherwise be locked down. It was amazing.

Can anyone let me know which version started to have the malware scanning? So i can use the one just before that.
Site Admin

Zenju

There is no malware scanning in FreeFileSync.

jaybird

Figured it out... I was wrong, it was not something that changed on FreeFileSync side... it's msft defender that changed how it works - previously, it would only flag a file on access or manual scan.. now it also flags a file when being written (previously, it wouldn't flag malicious files being copied by FFS).

Didn't see the defender security alerts from the host side copying to a 2nd server- The server the files were being copied to where the defender was on, was preventing the file writes. Not the host side.

***On the user side- this is the error: "ERROR_VIRUS_INFECTED: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software. [MoveFileEx]"
Last edited by jaybird on 22 Aug 2024, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.