whatd can cause an error "...sync.ffs_lock"-username:...

Get help for specific problems

debinDC

I'm a new user and not very tech savvy. This has me completely flummoxed. Even more than learning what I've done to cause it, I need to learn how to get rid of it so I can get a back-up restored.

Any solutions/answers? Thanks!

xCSxXenon

FFS places a .ffs_lock file in each location before syncing. This is done so any other FFS sessions can see that file and determine that it needs to wait until the first session finishes before it can start. The lock file is removed when FFS stops syncing gracefully. If a lock file is left somewhere, it is because the FFS sync was interrupted forcefully (lost access to location, killed by Task Manager, BSOD, etc.).
FFS detects abandoned lock files and should be able to remedy this issue on its own. Is this something you encounter often?

debinDC

Thank you for your explanation. You were absolutely correct -- it corrected itself. I had left to join friends and when I returned and started the FFS over, it functioned perfectly -- and quite quickly, with just a few files to doubled-check before mirroring them.

It was the only time I encountered the problem, and I'll remember your explanation and the lesson contained in it. Thanks again!