Mirror Backup Job Deleting Folders on the Differential

Get help for specific problems

NismoZ

I have a simple mirror (one way) backup job created.

Folder pairs:

C:\Users\XYZ\Destop --> Z:\Desktop
C:\Users\XYZ\Documents --> Z:\Documents
D:\ --> Z:\

When the Mirror job runs, it compares date and modified time on files, then gives a summary of what the job will do before you kick things off. The initial full file copy works fine and copies everything over to the right drive. However, when closing FFS, reopening and coming back for another backup, the compare job says that it will delete the Desktop and Documents folders and everything in them. Why is this?

I am trying to get a good file differential backup scheme working here and the product seems like it should do that.

xCSxXenon

Because The "Desktop" and "Documents" folders do not exist in D:\
You are telling FFS to mirror D:\ to Z:\
Since those folders don't exist in D:\ and you are telling FFS to make Z:\ look exactly like D:\, it does exactly that

NismoZ

Because The "Desktop" and "Documents" folders do not exist in D:\
You are telling FFS to mirror D:\ to Z:\
Since those folders don't exist in D:\ and you are telling FFS to make Z:\ look exactly like D:\, it does exactly that xCSxXenon, 18 Sep 2024, 14:30
I have 3 sources, 2 of which are on C: and the other is the entirety of D: Are you saying that to get past this, I need to individually create folder pairs for the few root folders on D rather than attempt to the do the whole drive? I have conflicting pair jobs in that my last folder pair says make Z look like D, and removes Documents and Desktop folders?

xCSxXenon

There are many options, heres a few:
1) Sync D:\ to its own folder on Z:\, such as "Z:\D Backup\"
2) Change sync method to 'update' so files that exist only on the right side don't get deleted
3) Add local exclusion filters to the "D to Z" pair that exclude "\Desktop\" and "\Documents"
There are probably more options, you'll have to decide which one is best for you. We can only identify what is causing the unwanted behavior, how you change it depends on how you want the data to be organized

NismoZ

There are many options, heres a few:
1) Sync D:\ to its own folder on Z:\, such as "Z:\D Backup\"
2) Change sync method to 'update' so files that exist only on the right side don't get deleted
3) Add local exclusion filters to the "D to Z" pair that exclude "\Desktop\" and "\Documents"
There are probably more options, you'll have to decide which one is best for you. We can only identify what is causing the unwanted behavior, how you change it depends on how you want the data to be organized xCSxXenon, 18 Sep 2024, 15:20
Good ideas, thank you!