How to update FreeFileSync?

Get help for specific problems

j60tn8

I'm using Windows 7 and I would like to update FreeFileSync.

Is it a good idea to uninstall the older version first? Or is it safe to just install the new version over the old version? And does this apply only to minor versions or all version? Moreover, how do I make sure that the program settings are preserved and don't get overwritten?
Site Admin

Zenju

For FFS it's never required to uninstall an old version first. If you want to preserve your settings you are even advised to not uninstall, since the FFS uninstallation will thoroughly clean up old files - including user-specific configuration files (%appdata%), log files, etc. Even files that were only present in older FFS versions, will be cleaned-up by the uninstaller of a newer version, so there will never be any garbage left behind.

j60tn8

Oh, that's nice. Thanks for the answer!

Plerry

Along a similar line:
If I install a newer version and would run into issues not occuuring with the older version,
can I simply revert to the older version by installing the old version "over" the newer version?
Obviously this is important to know in a "production" environment.

Thanks in advance !
Site Admin

Zenju

@Plerry: yes, that's no problem. FFS in general has no dependencies to "frameworks" of any kind which could be in an inconsistent state and would need a uninstall/reinstall routine. FFS is basically just the files you see + file type registration.