Behaviour of excluded files

Get help for specific problems

random24

Great and easy to understand program from what I have seen so far, but two things.

1) If I exclude in filter say all txt files, then should this not protect all txt files from being deleted or overwritten? They should not be affected by the program at all?

Yet if I set the program to delete all items on R that are not on L, then without any warning a folder on the R that is not on the L is deleted even though it contained txt files.

Is this normal for a sync program? I am not familiar enough with them to know.

2) I am not sure I understand how the program handles excluded files visually. With the txt exclusion filter no txt files show at all, regardless of whether I tick or untick the hide excluded files box. How would I make them appear in case I wished to temporarily include one?

Plerry

1) It depends on the sync-method you select.
If you choose the "mirror"-method, after the sync the R-location will only contain all the files in the L-location that are not excluded via the filter.
Any files that exist in the R-location prior to a "mirror"-sync, but not existing in the L-location or excluded via the exclude filter, will be deleted from the R-location during the sync. Depending on the deletion handling you select, these files are then a) deleted, b) moved to the recycle-bin or c) moved to the versioning location.
This seems to make sense, as you select to have/make a mirror of the relevant files of your L-location in your R-location. Other files do not belong in your R-location or any of its potential sub-folders.

If you select either of the two other sync methods (Automatic or Update) files excluded from the sync should continue to exist in their respective L- and/or the R-locations.
To the extent that excluded files exist in both the L- and R-location, their timestamp,
size and/or content might differ, also after the sync.

2) ???

random24

1) thanks

2) how do I view items that I have filter excluded from the comparison, in the grid? I have noticed options for temporarily including files but how do I tell the program to include a particular file or folder if it doesn't appear in the grid view?
Site Admin

Zenju

>> 2)

v5.15 will have a solution for this:
1. you right-click on the filter button and "copy" filter settings
2. you "clear" filter settings
3. compare again
4. "paste" filter settings:

[404, Invalid URL: http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/FreeFileSync_5.15_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]