Detect moved and renamed files and folders

Get help for specific problems

adelino_araujo

How can I see this working? "Detect moved and renamed files and folders" should detect that I moved a directory to inside of another. This is an easy move and I made compare and it will copy everything again. In other words, no detection on this move.
What I'm doing wrong? I would love to see detected files or directory's working cause I have user's that usually move stuff around.
Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

Detection of moved files is not always possible. The main prerequisite is that the file systems on both sides support file ids, e.g. NTFS. FAT on the other hand doesn't have stable file id, so a moved file is usually not detected (except in specific cases). However a combination of FAT - NTFS may still be useful since changes on the NTFS side are noticed and propagated. If a move is detected you'll see a special icon in the middle grid.
Site Admin

Zenju

Ah, I forgot the most important constraint right now: move detection is only available for the "two-way" sync variant:
[404, Invalid URL: https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/feature-requests/299/]

adelino_araujo

Thank you Zenju. I knew about two-way, cause the image is like a database.

My need is if someone moves or renamed something on the remote NAS... FFS detects it, so it is not necessary to copy it over wire again. Plan and simple: cut down download from a very slooooow connection.

Thank you anyway. I will anyway try to use BY_HANDLE_FILE_INFORMATION.nFileIndexHigh&Low to make a function to detect it. If I run a program, detect and move/rename files before run FFS... wow!

Let me get my old QBASIC compiler on an old floppy I have.
Site Admin

Zenju

Detection of moved files is now available for mirror variant, too:
[404, Invalid URL: https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/feature-requests/299]