Which choice is correct for me re handling of Symbolic Links?

Get help for specific problems

eddietripod

Hi, Looking for the correct answer for my situation. Win7 x 64 home premium.

Which choice is correct for me re handling of Symbolic Links?

I'll be using Steam, Steam Spreader, Gamesave Manager, and non steam games. I'll be imaging both drives with Macrium Reflect Free.

I'm using a Samsung Notebook with and SSD for the OS drive and an HDD for the data drive. I have a 2Tb external USB drive always connected also.

I have moved the folders WITHIN my username to the data drive(Not appdata etc).

I'm using Macrium Reflect Free to image my 2 drives weekly. I'd also like to use FreeFileSync to do a daily mirror of my data drive to my external USB drive.

I have not installed any games yet, but when I do, I'll be using some Steam Games. I know to install Steam to the Data drive. So I'll be installing Gamesave Manager with Steam Spreader. I know those programs involve symbolic links to optimize use of your SSD.

I've no experience with Symbolic links, so I need help choosing an answer to a setup question within FreeFileSync.
On the GSM site it says "Use " Steam Spreader" to move entire Steam-purchased games onto other partitions and drives (on a per game basis) while creating Symbolic Links to their new locations, allowing you to get the max out of your SSD with your favourite game(s)."

This sounds like my situation. So FreeFileSync is asking me how to handle symbolic links.

The 3 choices are 1)Exclude 2) Direct 3) Follow

I just don't want to corrupt the mirroring sync, or the drive images by creating some loop because of the symbolic links, or some other problem. At the same time, if including the symbolic links somehow will make my backup scheme more complete or accurate, I'd like to learn the correct way to do so.

I'll paste the explanations of the symbolic link options in FreeFileSync help files below.

So which should I choose in my situation?

*Symbolic link handling*

FreeFileSync offers three options to configure handling of symbolic links (also called symlinks or soft links):

Exclude: Skip symbolic links while scanning directories.

Direct: Evaluate the symbolic link object directly. Symbolic links will be shown as a separate entity on grid. Links pointing to directories are not traversed and the link object is copied directly during synchronization.

Follow: Treat symbolic links like the object they are pointing to. Links pointing to directories are traversed like ordinary directories and the target of each link is copied during synchronization.

Note

Under Windows the symbolic link options apply to symbolic links, volume mount points and NTFS junction points.

Copying symbolic links requires FreeFileSync to be started with administrator rights.

Thanks in advance for any help! I appreciate it.