Error Code 58 when syncing << auto ignore?

Get help for specific problems

realdeco

i started using FFS to sync files from 1 pc to a NAS, and same on another pc, so pc1<>NAS<>pc2, and it seems to work just fine except now and then i get this Error 58, "The speficied server cannot perform the requested action." and a countdown until it will retry, im guessing it's because both pc's are locking the directory or something - anyway it works after it retries and life goes on, but question here is: are there any way i can auto ignore this error and just retry without any popups?

btw i made a batch file and are running it with RealTimeSync and did put ignore errors in that, but this particular error still pops up :(

besides from being visually bugged now and then all seems to work fine - so i guess this is not a bug report, more a request ;)

thanks for a great program! (that right now don't want to let me forget it's there :)

picture of error: [404, Invalid URL: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4139386/ffs_error58.jpg]

-Deco
Site Admin

Zenju

This specific error is coming from RTS, not FFS. The symbolic name of 58 is ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP. It seems there is not much that RTS could do about it:
[404, Invalid URL: https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/support-requests/123/]

realdeco

This specific error is coming from RTS, not FFS. The symbolic name of 58 is ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP. It seems there is not much that RTS could do about it:
[404, Invalid URL: https://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/support-requests/123/]Zenju
yeah you're right, of course it's coming from RTS, and i don't have a problem with it because it works after it retries, what im asking is:

is it possible to add an option to RTS so it just ignores errors and retries without asking/showing a popup?

-Deco

realdeco

yeah you're right, of course it's coming from RTS, and i don't have a problem with it because it works after it retries, what im asking is:

is it possible to add an option to RTS so it just ignores errors and retries without asking/showing a popup?

-Decorealdeco
there's no problems at all if only one pc is syncing to the server, or the other pc, but only when both pc's are syncing the same file, and from what i can see only when they happen to do it at the same time.

im not trying to understand how RTS/FFS works deep down, but i think it's to do with directory or files being locked while syncing, then the other pc pops up with the error..

anyway once again, the only thing needed to make this solution perfect is that there's a option to make RTS silent! (auto retry after 10 seconds) or whatever you would call the option)

-Deco

realdeco

i feel a bit ignored here :(

-Deco
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem with a general "ignore errors" option is that it may hide legitimate errors. Even if ignoring errors would affect ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP only, it's not clear if that's a good thing: If the error comes up only once and is solved after retry, it would be good if RTS ignored such "hickups", but if it is permanent and not solved after retry, it should be shown to the user since it renders RTS effectively non-functional.
From a functionality point of view RTS's current behavior of both notifying the user and retrying automatically seems fine. The only problem is that a modal popup dialog is seen distracting. Maybe something can be done about that...

realdeco

it only happens when both pc's RTS are scanning the directory at the same time, so yeah next retry all is fine, then it comes again when the 2 pc's happen to sync same time.. and so on.. if nothing changed in the directory, it rarely happens because the chance of them colliding is slim.

-deco
Site Admin

Zenju

I've revised the design of RTS error handling: the program will not show a timed modal error dialog anymore, but instead will only show a blinking system tray icon. If the user double-clicks the icon in this state or selects the new context menu option "show error", an error message will be shown without a time out.

Here's the new version for testing, let me know if you find any problems:
[404, Invalid URL: http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/FreeFileSync_5.19_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]