Sync with vm that is off half of the time - what to do about 'folder not found' error?

Get help for specific problems

dataspill

FreeFileSync has been a very nice find - thank you!

Question, in testing I have been sync'ing my main workstation and a vm that is off about half of the time. I run the sync via windows 7 task scheduler once an hour. When freefilesync makes it's hourly run and the vm is off, I get an error message about the folders on the vm being found. I could click 'hide this error message' or whatever the phrase is exactly...but is there a better way?

For example, I was hoping to find a switch that tell freefilesync that the partners are only occassionally connected.

Or is there a better way in general? I have not tried the RealtimeSync thing, or even read about it, should I consider it? The pattern is that I do some work on the vm, want those files to be copied to the main workstation, not a very large set of files.

srjones67

I would just package this into a batch file and the first thing it does is check fir the existence of the other machine and then the existence of the destination directory. If the directory doesn't exist then bypass the sync.

dataspill

I would just package this into a batch file and the first thing it does is check fir the existence of the other machine and then the existence of the destination directory. If the directory doesn't exist then bypass the sync.srjones67
It forgot to mention, though I thought it might be implied, that the task scheduler is running a .batch file that freefilesync created. It does not seem to handle this case well. I guess you're suggesting that I hand tweak the batch file? If so, I can figure that out, or maybe there are examples posted here?

dataspill

Still don't have what I regard as an answer to this.

dataspill

OK, so I'm not very good at scripting but this worked for me.

if exist \\vbox-2010\cssdir goto direxists
goto nodir
:direxists
C:\Users\DS\Documents\freefilesync\css_SyncSettings.ffs_batch
:nodir
echo sync will not run this time

Just in case someone else needs a clue.