Restore from versioning folder.

Get help for specific problems

pollotedax

Hi Zenju,
I'm using FFS since january and I'm using it as a primary backup solution because it is what I was looking for.

Thanks for your work !

I make a backup every day and move deleted and overwriten files to a deleted folder with %date% in order to have daily granularity.
I'm wondering the best way to restore to a certain point in past, 5 days for example, and was asking myself what about the new created files in source because we have a program that checks if a file exists to take some decisions.
I'm reading many posts and found this one

viewtopic.php?t=1827&p=7460#p7460

I`m using latest version 5.18 so, is there a different/better way to do it ?
Is posible to delete the new created files in source to reproduce exact point in time once manually copied all the %date% folders?
is there a different approach to the hole procedure?

Thanks in advance !

pollotedax

No news ?

srjones67

My belief is that this is a File Synchronization tool not a true backup application. I use it to keep folders in sync from my PC to my external hard drive then use a backup program to backup and restore. The versioning feature to me is just as an oops option not a true restore feature. You would need to write your own restore batch to put versioned folders back to their original location. Zenju can confirm.
Site Admin

Zenju

@srjones: yes, restore is manual. In contrast to a traditional backup software which stores its data in some binary format, FFS operates on the file system directly. So there is less need for FFS to provide some means to gain access to the data; it's already browseable, e.g. with Explorer, some custom script, whatever you want.

pollotedax

ok!
Thanks.