Delete Popup Window "Do you really want to delete the following item?"

Get help for specific problems

gdhm

Hi Zenju :)

I updated from 5.21 to 5.22 and noticed the "Delete" pop-up window has changed (title is now "Delete Items" NO PROBLEM)

But now in version 5.22 the words for deleting 14 items
"Do you really want to delete the following 14 items?" are now in a Bold Font WHICH I LIKE :) and font much larger.

I like the idea of the larger font but believe the new Font size is (and looks) a little TOO LARGE (I have a 1920 x1080 display).
Now when there are more than 9 items to be deleted "items?" wraps to a 2nd line of text which does not look so nice.

e.g.
Do you really want to delete the following 14
items?

I suggest the new larger font size is reduced a LITTLE so that wrapping to a 2nd line will not occur, and certainly not if number of items are 999 or less (ideally if less than 4 digits)

Kind Regards
Attachments
V5-22.jpg
V5-22.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Alternatively, you could use Windows 7 :)... it's really difficult to serve everybody: Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu/Suse/Fedora Linux, MAC OS X. The only chance to tackle the multiplicity of variants is by using a heuristic.

The heuristic for the font size in the dialog above is: get standard font size and increase by 33%.
For Windows 7, the most used Windows version, this gives a 12pt font as a result, which is exactly following the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines from Microsoft:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-DE/library/windows/desktop/aa974176#fonts

On Windows 7 (see the attachment) I'd say it looks pretty good. Yeah, this makes XP a bit of a second-class citizen, which it actually is considering the 2014 drop of support from MS.
Attachments
delete-confirmation.PNG
delete-confirmation.PNG (52.75 KiB) Viewed 736 times

gdhm

Hi Zenju :)

Thanks for your reply I now see the problem on my PC (and not because of my O/S as I have used Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) for 1½ years.

I fully understand the difficulty trying to please all users display needs.
It was for my needs when I replaced my 1600x 9000 LCD monitor with a 1920 x 1080 LED monitor that I needed to increase my Windows 7 messages font to Tahoma Font size 11 to cater for a few apps where text was too small to be usable. I use a lot of apps on my PC and the size I selected has been a good balance for all my apps until FFS 5.22 which it clearly cannot cope with without text wrapping with your new setting.

I originally thought maybe the size was unintended (hence why I posted), but clearly you wanted a larger +33% Bold. That unfortunately, is a little too large for my PC's Windows adjusted Tahoma Font 11 to avoid text wrapping. As I cannot manually adjust the +33% to 25% (maybe 30%) I will have to live with the large font size and text wrapping WHICH IS NO BIG DEAL Zenju, especially when there is SO much to love about FFS which has proved a "Life Saver" for me over and over again.

Many thanks for your speedy reply Zenju

Kind Regards
Site Admin

Zenju

With such generic rules like the font size determination above, I'm not trying to solve the problem generally, but to find the sweet spot. Therefore I've improved two things which may already solve the problem for you, too, without pessimizing other scenarios:

1. Your font size is 11; increased by 33% gives 14.6. FFS 5.22 rounds this up to 15 according to the usual mathematical convention for numbers with a decimal digit >= .5. I've changed the code to always round down, in order to give some slight preference to smaller font sizes.
2. Even in my own screenshot the dialog shows a horizontal scrollbar for a window width that is only barely too small. The old default width was set to 480 pixels. I've changed this to 500.

gdhm

That very kind of you Zenju. Successful or not I really appreciate you trying :)

I assume change will occur in next update and if that is the case there's no need to respond

Best wishes

gdhm

HI Zenju :), Just to let you know your adjustment in FFS v5.23 worked a treat no wrapping to second line unless files being deleted were over 9999

Many Thanks
Attachments
Printscreen 002.jpg
Printscreen 002.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 736 times