Verification of the copied files using a checksum?

Discuss new features and functions

pavel2

Hi,

I have a general problem of backing up data files to a network drive and I am looking for a tool that copies automatically selected files to the network drive and finally also checks if the files are correctly copied on the network drive. I found this program (i.e. FreeFileSync), but I am not fully sure, if this can really be done by this program. I would expect some option in the program that enables to compute some kind of checksum (e.g. MD5) during the reading of the original file and after the copy process is finished, the copied file is read from the target drive again and the corresponding checksum is computed and compared with the original one. I would need this because we had some troubles with incorrect file copying to the network drive and this kind of verification could solve our troubles. Is this kind of copy verification somehow hidden in the program feature called "Fail-safe file copy"?

Thank you for your response and also for the work on this program!

Best regards,
Pavel
Site Admin

Zenju

"fail-safe file copy" is a protection against unexpected interruptions like network drops or power outages. It will make sure to leave an incompletely written temporary file behind (which is cleaned up automatically during next sync) instead of what's worse, an incompletely written target file that is corrupting the backup.

What you are looking for however is global option "VerifyCopiedFiles". See help file chapter "Expert Settings" for details on how to enable it.