thanx and some minor layout questions

Discuss new features and functions

NightOwl

many thanx for your program; i've used several sync-programs and FFS is reliable, easy to use and it comes with a nice interface, simply the best you can get.

just 'cause of your eye for detail, it maybe usefull to check these (minor) layout questions:

01. although no filter is set, the top-most filter symbol turns slightly colored when synchronizing
02. the split position is not remembered after moving (when using many synchronization pairs)
03. when the vertical scroll-bar becomes visible, the "Browse"-button alignment is lost
04. maybe the [+] button could be moved to obtain a "nicer" alignment

kind regards
Site Admin

Zenju

> although no filter is set, the top-most filter symbol turns slightly colored when synchronizing

Can you post a screenshot of the filter settings? One of the filter settings must be active if the icon's red.

> the split position is not remembered after moving (when using many synchronization pairs)

That's a technical problem I have not yet found a solution for. It's on the FFS back log.

> when the vertical scroll-bar becomes visible, the "Browse"-button alignment is lost

True, the question is, is there a better design that avoids this mismatch? Currently the first folder pair has a fixed position at the top.

> maybe the [+] button could be moved to obtain a "nicer" alignment

One requirement for a good GUI is that buttons should have a stable position, e.g. in particular they should not move when clicked. I think this is more important than 100% perfect visual appeal in this case. Is there a design that satisfies both?

NightOwl

Zenju, thanx for your reply!

- about the filter-settings: i've added 2 screendumps; as you can see, no filter(s) are set and all the filter symbols are gray, just as it must be, BUT THEN (see second sreenshot), when starting the comparing, only the top-most filter symbol turns *slightly* red (not the same red color as if the filter was set)... yeah, strange...
(BTW, of course also in the *.gui config-file, no filter settings are written)

- about the minor layout things: maybe the vertical scroll-bars could be always visible in gray, but inactive until needed, to keep the aligment;
and -maybe- the [+] could be moved to a (also stable) position e.g. left to the text "Drag & drop"; but once again, your layout is fine and intuitive.

greetz
Site Admin

Zenju

> top-most filter symbol turns slightly red

Does this occur with FFS v6.1? In this case it's a bug that is fixed in v6.2.

> vertical scroll-bars could be always visible

This penalizes the scenario of up to 6 folder pairs where no scrollbars are needed.

> the [+] could be moved [...] left to the text "Drag & drop

Drawback would be a 6 pixel increase in height and a mismatch between the "drag and drop" text and the directory field as soon as placeholders are used, e.g. "%date%".

NightOwl

@Zenju
thanx, i just downloaded v.6.2 and indeed, the filter-symbol is fixed; 6.2 looks also better with the newly "screen-centered" columns and progress-graphs.

btw.: you're right about the drawbacks of moving buttons, etc.; changing one thing creates another unneeded problem; designing an interface is a hell of a thing...
luckily you're good at it ;-)

greetz