[Feature suggestion] Search for file before copying

Discuss new features and functions

maxconnor

Sometimes people tend to move files around on one partition. They don't just create, modify and delete files. Photo-, Music- and Videocolletions could be re-organized on the same partition from time to time.
So if a file is available in target location and not available in source location FFS could check its source tree if the file has been deleted or just moved to another location inside the source-tree. If it has been moved in source-tree it could also be moved in target-tree instead of deleting the target-file and copying it again later from source.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

blues12

Wouldn't that be covered by the checkbox
"Detect moved files"
on the Sync-Settings (F8)?

maxconnor

I'm not sure what this option is intended to do. It's not documented in the help file here on windows. It says it requires and creates a database when enabled and that it is not supported on all filesystems.
My idea was rather simple. Create Filelisting for source and destination, when source file is missing, see if it is somewhere else in the same list. If yes, move the file accordingly directly on destination. That wouldn't require a database and should be ok with all filesystems.
It really sounds like what I'd like to have, but the database-thing confuses me a little. Maybe I'll try the option on some test files this week.