Feature Request: Eliminate View Types

Discuss new features and functions

apc067

First of all, thanks again for this great tool, which I've been using for more than a year with the greatest satisfaction!

I would like to make an argument that it is not necessary to maintain the two different view types (Category vs. Action); instead, the middle column could keep both kinds of icons "un-grayed", and the bottom portion could include the button-group of each view type at the same time. (It's probably enough to have only one "=" button, since it covers the same files in both view types, although a nitpicky individual would note that as a category it means "Files are equal", while as an action it rather means "Do nothing because files are equal".)

Showing both view types at the same time may make the UI look more complicated (and even confusing) to some people at first, but I still believe it would be a useful change. I would also suggest that the whole "row" in the middle column receives the background color that is currently being used for the Action view, i.e., the color code of the side that will incur the change (write or deletion). This could also give rise to some visual aids, for example that we need to be vigilant whenever the color of the Category icon is the SAME as the background, because it either means that the given file got deleted on one side and will be deleted on the other side as well (a not too uncommon situation, but still a good idea to make sure it was intentional), or that the file became older (which is very rarely normal).

Thank you for your consideration!

blues12

>Showing both view types at the same time may make the UI look more complicated (and even confusing)

Maybe so, but switching back and forth also helps to get an idea of how your current sync settings will translate to the actual data at hand.

Your suggestion requires a thorough understanding and careful setup of the sync options. To double-check, you'd have to call up the settings each time, instead of simply toggling the view, the way it works now.

apc067

Hello Stefan,

Actually, my sync options setup is the simplest of all: two-way [database-based] synchronization, with all files needing synchronization selected by default. (At first I was also suspicious of the correctness of this method, but since then I've confirmed many times that it is doing an awesome job.)

Are your sync options different from this...?

blues12

I run FFS portable from the stick. Requirements are different every time, some are backups, some are syncs (mostly one way). What I have to change frequently is the middle icon (="cannot be categorized").

If I see action icons only, I wouldn't have a clue why it wants to copy a file. Is it because its newer? Or is it because it cannot be categorized and I have set up the middle icon to copy those, too? I would have to check the sync settings, and still wouldn't know everything I need to know.

Whereas in Category view, I hover the mouse over a conflict and it tells me: "Same date but different size". That's information to work with. Now I can click the right mouse and choose an appropriate action for that file only, or send it to a filter, right from there, either this file type or a dozens other, really smart things ... too much to explain. Try it out and you'll get the picture.