Feature request - pause Compare

Discuss new features and functions

webmaster33

Would be useful to be able to pause after Compare was started.
I have 1million+ files on my computer, so comparing takes long time.
However comparing takes a lot resources, so I would like to pause the compare process, but I don't want to lose the time took the compare until now.

This is my reason.

Thanks is advance!

jonrichco

My solution to this is to partition my computer. Then only the files in my data partition need to be backed up. The 100k files in my data drive take 42 seconds to compare to my external drive backup. So no need to pause. My Music, pictures etc partitions, do not need to backed up every day.
Site Admin

Zenju

My solution to this is to partition my computer. Then only the files in my data partition need to be backed up. The 100k files in my data drive take 42 seconds to compare to my external drive backup. So no need to pause. My Music, pictures etc partitions, do not need to backed up every day.jonrichco
The less-intrusive solution is to partition the sync job into multiple FFS configurations. Then on-demand merge the configurations that are currently needed from the config panel (via CTRL + mouse left click or mouse multi-file selection).
Site Admin

Zenju

Would be useful to be able to pause after Compare was started.
I have 1million+ files on my computer, so comparing takes long time.
However comparing takes a lot resources, so I would like to pause the compare process, but I don't want to lose the time took the compare until now.

This is my reason.

Thanks is advance!webmaster33
See also help file chapter "Expert Settings": RunWithBackgroundPriority. This option will lower the file I/O priorities for FFS.

webmaster33

Would be so difficult to implement a Pause function, while Compare is running?
This would be a helpful feature, anyway.

webmaster33

I really miss this Pause compare feature.

miogpsrocks

My compare process took over 24 hours to complete and was for over 7TB of data.

Why can't we get some kind of pause ability even if the pause is not instantaneous but rather let it finish comparing the existing file then paused after that last file if pausing it mid-file is too difficult of an endeavor.