Move to versioning folder for 'Items exist on right side only'

Discuss new features and functions

billsbackups

Hello,

I couldn't figure out how to create a new feature request. Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong spot.

Currently the options for 'Items exist on right side only' are:

Copy New Item to Left
Delete Right Item
Do Nothing

I think it would be great if another option were available. It would be

Save in Versioning Folder

The reason is that doing this would allow me to have an exact copy of my 'left side' on my 'right side', but if I deleted something on my 'left side' I would still have a backup of the file in my Versioning folder. If my computer ever crashed I could do a copy from my 'right side' location to my new OS install and be exactly where I was at the crash BUT, I would still have old files available in my versioning folder that I may want to go to to retrieve a file I shouldn't have deleted previously.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Bill.
Site Admin

Zenju

This sounds like you want to just setup the ordinary FFS versioning?

billsbackups

Hello,
I've setup the ordinary FFS versioning and it works great. So when I change a file on my 'left side', the existing 'right side' file first gets put in the versioning folder, then gets updates with the modified 'left side' version. But what I would like to see is that if I delete a file on the 'left side', the existing 'right side' file first gets put into the versioning folder and then gets deleted.
This would allow me to use FFS as a backup tool AND a synchronization tool. A backup tool because if I delete a file on the 'left side' I can go to the 'right side' and recover it. But also a synchronization tool because if I completely lose all my 'left side' files through a hard drive crash, etc., I can go to the 'right side' file and copy everything back, but not copy back files I deleted from the 'left side'.
Bill.
Site Admin

Zenju

> But what I would like to see is that if I delete a file on the 'left side', the existing 'right side' file first gets put into the versioning folder and then gets deleted.

This is already happening with "versioning": both files that are updated and deleted will be moved to the versioning folder.

billsbackups

"This sounds like you want to just setup the ordinary FFS versioning?"

You were right, obviously, from your first reply to my post. I didn't know that if I use the mirror option, with versioning configured, that if I delete something from the LHS then FFS would first move it to the versioning folder then delete from the RHS. Because of this, I've been using the Update option which has a Do Nothing in this scenario.

Thank you Zenju for your patience. I've recommend FFS to a number of friends who have expressed backup concerns on their PCs.