[SUGGESTIONS] Please make language and help optional in compile

Discuss new features and functions

yurivict

In some OS (my example is FreeBSD, another is Gentoo Linux), there is the practice when the user can disable certain option for all packages. Particular relevant options here are DOCS and NLS -- install documentation and language translation. Some users never use any other languages, so they don't need translation files installed and taking disk space. Same with help files.

I would like to suggest you make one place in code where these can be individually turned on and off. For example, you can add options to Makefile: NO_HELP and NO_TRANSLATIONS, that will be passed on to compilation as C++ defines. Corresponding menu options (and "show examples" links) should disappear when these options are selected. This way package maintainers can easily pass their options to FreeFileSync build.

Also, there is a bug: trailing slashes in 'cp' statements in Makefile, this patch needs to be applied:

mkdir -p $(APPSHAREDIR)
- cp -R ../Build/Languages/ \
- ../Build/Help/ \
+ cp -R ../Build/Languages \
+ ../Build/Help \

Not sure how does it find translation and help files on Linux, because 'cp -R dir/ destination' copies contents of dir/ and not dir itself.

-----

I submitted the port for FreeBSD (sysutils/FreeFileSync).