FEATURE REQUEST: Log Filename Masking

Discuss new features and functions

intexx

Log filename masking benefits all of us. It relieves Zenju of the burden of trying to appeal to everyone (he who builds by every man's advice is going to end up with a crooked house).

Folks doing things like parsing the logs and saving the info to a database are confident that their implementation won't break due to an unexpected filename sometime down the road.

The filename can be customized according to each user's preference; all configurations on all OSs are immediately supported.

Granted this example is overkill, but have a look here: [404, Invalid URL: http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/sdk/log4net.Layout.PatternLayout.html]. (FYI used by the good folks over at Amazon.)

While still a bit excessive for our needs, this one's a bit more sane: MSDN Standard Format Strings.

Everyone wins with log filename masking.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

wm-sf

at the moment FFS doesn't need .NET

it would be a step backwards for portable people and those not on Win OS's if it became a requirement

intexx

at the moment FFS doesn't need .NET

it would be a step backwards for portable people and those not on Win OS's if it became a requirementwm-sf
I probably erred in not being clear that I'm not proposing a .NET dependency--I'm simply using the Log4Net Pattern Layout architecture as an example of the flexibility of masking.

The concept is applicable across all boundaries.

Personally I write in VB.NET, so I suppose that's why many of my examples come from that neck of the woods. I don't pretend to advocate that anyone should adopt one platform over another. The platform chooses the man, not the other way 'round ;-)

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska